London Progressive Journal Topic: Dear Mister Corbyn


What, if anything, is wrong with this picture?


Excerpt:


"I’m English, which means I have European blood and believe that my country ‘belongs’ in Europe. And I’m interested in our history. It is a matter of record that for millennia Europeans have continually fought each other, culminating in two devastating world wars. There’s a lot wrong about the European Union; most EU citizens, including myself, want to see some reforms. But this, for me, is the most precious thing about the EU - that since its foundation we have had peace. And of course, the EU is the largest trading bloc in the world. It makes no sense for a small country (admittedly far too self-important) to leave it. The very thought frightens me.

And this increases my fear: that we will be at the mercy of the rise of populism, right-wing politics and corporate bullying. I’m left-wing; I want politics that put people first. But the Leader of the Labour Party, Jeremy Corbyn, the man who put together a Party manifesto full of policies that people backed; whose leadership saw a huge surge in Party membership; who claimed to want a Party where members’ views were paramount, now seems to be walking away from us. He appears to be backing Brexit against the wishes of the members. He won’t support the People's Vote (another referendum) when 72 percent of members want one. Given such a vote, around 88 percent of members would vote to remain in the EU.

So I wrote this letter to him. Then I decided to make it an open letter. And now I sit here and wonder, if he won’t listen to many of us, will he listen to a few?

Dear Mister Corbyn...."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Deforestation Process

The Deep State vs The Deep Country

The Deep Politics of Jared Leto’s Cult